Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day.  

I've found that people generally fall into one of two main camps regarding this particular holiday:

1. They love Valentine's Day.  They love the idea of giving/receiving candy and flowers and sexual favors and general special treatment on the 14th of February.  What a glorious day this is.  They're in love, they're in love, and they don't care who knows it!

2.  They hate Valentine's Day.  They call it a "Hallmark Holiday" that's fabricated to waste people's money on greeting cards and candy and flowers.  Why should they have to go out of their way for some made up holiday that doesn't mean anything?  They love their significant other, so why should they have to go out of their way on some arbitrary date on the calendar to attempt to prove it?

Now that I’m thinking about it, it may be simpler to break down these two groups this way:

1.  Women.

2.  Men. 

That may be oversimplifying it, but it lies fairly close to the truth from what I’ve seen.  Of course, people do flip-flop back and forth between these two groups depending on their current relationship status and/or the feelings they have about whatever relationship it is they are in.  

I happen to be a man who falls somewhere in between the two.  This is at least partially due to the fact that I can’t ever seem to take a definitive stand on any given topic (Go ahead, ask me about religion sometime, I dare ya).  It’s also partially due to the fact that I like the idea of Valentine’s Day, and most other holidays, commercially fabricated or otherwise.  I personally think that these sorts of holidays are important for just letting people know that you care about them, even if you haven’t gone out of your way to show it for a while.  It’s a good reminder to take care of things you should be doing on closer to a daily basis, and generally lazy guys like me need that reminder. 

So here’s to Valentine’s Day.  I hope you and yours had an enjoyable one, or that you were able to successfully scrooge your way out of any festivities, whichever you prefer.

~Duck

P.S.  I personally dropped the ball this year (sorry honey, I love you).

4 comments:

  1. I mostly just see valentine's day as a normal day, just with an added excuse to perhaps do a little something extra nice, kind of like any other holiday.

    So tell me about religion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two posts in two days. Holy cannolli. I got my fingers crossed and hope you stick with it. And thanks for stopping by and offering your support for Quincy dog. He is doing good all things considered. And as far as Valentine's Day goes ... well Mrs. Shife and I just considered getting Quincy back home as our present this year. I am pretty sure it is going to a long time coming before we get each other anything for Valentine's Day because the fat basset was expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate Valentines Day, it's such a waste of money. However, I had to do something right or I would have been DEAD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no Phats, not true at all. Just don't do anything and deal with the fallout for awhile... it will help set the bar really low and make your life easier in the long run. For example, this year, when I got absolutely nothing for Valentine's day, I didn't even feel bad.

    ReplyDelete